7th Shawwal, 1442AH
19th May, 2021
The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) under the leadership of His Eminence, Alh. Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar, CFR, mni, is disturbed by the unfortunate ongoing industrial actions in Kaduna State, sequel to a trade dispute and subsequent hardening of positions between the State Government and Coalition of Trade Unions, which has led to the regrettable disruption of socio-economic activities of the state.
2. The Council believes that, though industrial actions are lawful means of seeking rights from the government, the current strike in Kaduna State is unfortunate, inauspicious and capable of compounding the already precarious situations prevailing in Kaduna State in particular and the country in general occasioned by wide-spread insecurity and the Covid-19 Pandemic with attendant devastating and traumatic socio-economic and life threatening effects on the people.
3. The Council is concerned that, if the issue is not swiftly resolved with tact and wisdom by all sides, it might not only compound the suffering of the already traumatised citizens of Kaduna State, but may also even spin out of control and snowball into unforeseen national tragedy of immense proportions with unpleasant consequences across the state and beyond.
4. It is in the light of the above that the Council hereby appeals to all parties especially the Kaduna State Government and the leadership of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) to exercise restraints and embrace negotiation as the best approach for resolving this avoidable crisis that has created tension and distraction for both parties from the lofty goals being pursued for the benefit of the citizens.
5. One of the qualities of the community of believers in God is described by Allah as “those who conduct their affairs by mutual consultation…” [Qur’an 42:38]. The recourse to round table discussion with sincerity and patriotism will bring about a win-win solution for all the critical stakeholders to the relief of the general public whom both parties love to serve.
6. May Almighty Allah grant both parties the patience and wisdom to incline towards rapid peaceful resolution of this rift. Ameen.
Arc. Zubairu Haruna Usman-Ugwu
Director of Administration
Copyright © Nigerian Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) ® All right reserved.